Sunday 27 February 2011

Oreo cupcakes


I adore Oreos. I only tried them for the first time about a year ago (maybe two) and I can't believe I missed out on them for 19/20 years! The first time I remember hearing about Oreos was when I saw The Parent Trap (the one with Lindsay Lohan), I loved that film. They ate theirs with peanut butter which is actually pretty nice. I had to try!

ANYWAY, to start with I twisted the oreos apart (so most of the cream is on one half) and placed that half at the bottom of the cupcake cases. I saw this idea on someone elses blog.



Don't throw away the other half, you'll need them for later!


All of the recipes I've seen for these cupcakes have used a chocolate sponge. I decided to use vanilla as I thought I'd find it too sickly otherwise. I just used the normal ingredients (caster sugar, butter, self raising flour, vanilla extract) and spooned it in to the cases.


They went in the oven (fan oven at 160°) for about 13-15 minutes. I always check the cupcakes after 10 minutes and just go from there. I got them out the oven and put them on a cooling rack.


I absolutely love how the bottom of the cupcakes look.



Whilst the cupcakes were cooling, I blitzed the remaining Oreos in a blender. Try to get the pieces as small as you can, otherwise some parts may get stuck in the nozzle (I found this out)


I used 4oz of icing sugar (I would have used more, but I ran out...I really need to start writing down when I need more stuff!) and 2oz butter. I mixed the blended Oreos in and added some milk. Not exactly sure how much, I just kept adding little bits until I felt the consistency was right.


Then I piped the icing on. Then I cut more Oreos in half and put one on top. Easy peasy. I really, really want/need to get a bigger nozzle. I just think it'll make my cupcakes look better! I'm going to try and get one soon.



I really, really do love this part of the cupcakes. (Er, excuse the fact I had already took a bite at this point...)


There we go. I think these may be my favourite so far!

Hayley x


P.S I heard that there are more flavours or Oreos in the US. OMG!! I want to try these. Especially if there's mint. Me and Kirsty are going to New York in June (CAN'T WAIT!!!!!) so I think I will have to stock up.

1 comment:

  1. These oreo cupcakes tasted really sumptuous! Although yummy,they're not doing my diet any good! Lol xx

    ReplyDelete