Sunday 13 February 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I have never tried red velvet cupcakes before, but I always hear people talking about them. I've never heard or read anyone say they don't like them!
I searched online for a recipe. I came across so many but decided to use The Hummingbird Bakery's recipe. I have only heard good things about them and I hoping to go and visit one day soon.
This is my assistant, she's called Treacle. She sat on that chair the whole time I was baking and just watched everything I was doing.


Anyway, I mixed all of the ingredients together. In a metal bowl because of the red dye! I love how bright the colour is.



I tried to be so careful with the red dye. But there was no escaping red everywhere, over the work sufaces, over my hands and arms. Everywhere!!


These cupcakes took about 20 minutes in my fan oven (at 160°) - I think maybe I overcooked them a little bit, but ah well. We live and learn!


Proof that they ARE red


I waited for them to cool and then I made the frosting. Cream cheese butter cream...it's sooo good!!



Apply to cupcakes and TA DA! I think the frosting really does compliment the taste of the cake. Because of the buttermilk, the cake isn't the sweetest, but I like it. I don't know if they tasted like they were supposed to because I have nothing to compare it to, but my family really liked them. Even my Nan who is the most honest person you will ever meet.



I put these cupcakes in the fridge for a couple of hours. For some reason, I personally think they tasted A LOT better after that. Strange, but it's just what I felt.






Don't they look lovely?





There we go :) Expect more blogging this week.

Love, Hayley x

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are way better than mine :( lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were so lovely - I liked the contrast between the not-so-sweet cake and the sweetest, tastiest creamy yummy icing on the top! I have to agree with you Hayley, the cake did taste so much better after leaving it a couple of hrs - there was more flavour/taste in the sponge.

    I learnt a lesson; I sneaky snitched some icing (when you'd finished of course)and popped it into my mouth, only to learn it was Cream Cheese & not the yummy icing I was expecting. Urgh! lol

    xxx

    ReplyDelete